Version 1.3, January 3, 2017
Zulama has developed and offers an Internet-based learning management system (“Zulama LMS”) which provides its subscribers (“Authorized Users”, as further defined below) with access to certain online academic courses (the “Courses”) and Zulama-proprietary web-based resources, applications, services and knowledge content (collectively, “Zulama LMS Services”).
You, the parent or guardian of a student (the “Subscriber”) desire to obtain subscription-based access to the Zulama LMS for you and your student, as Authorized Users, for the purposes of retrieving and viewing the Courses and Zulama LMS Services as enabled by the Zulama LMS. Zulama is willing to make access to the Zulama LMS available to you and your student subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein and your acknowledgement and agreement to the disclaimers and limitations of liability set forth herein. Therefore, as a prerequisite and condition of your access and use of the Zulama LMS, the parties agree as follows with the intent to be legally bound:
You must immediately notify Zulama at firstname.lastname@example.org if you become aware of any loss or theft of your user name or password or any unauthorized use of your User Identity. Zulama reserves the right in its sole discretion, without notice, to revoke any User Identity or require you to change your User Identity, whether for Zulama LMS security or for other purposes.
- Prohibited Conduct. All Authorized Users are reminded that their use of the Zulama LMS is subject to the following prohibitions. The Zulama LMS may be used solely for the purposes and functions contemplated herein and Authorized Users shall refrain from using the Zulama LMS for any other purpose (“Prohibited Conduct”). Subscriber shall be strictly liable to Zulama for, and shall indemnify, defend and hold Zulama harmless from and against, any losses, claims or other damages it may incur as a result of Prohibited Conduct by it or its Authorized Users. “Prohibited Conduct” shall include, but is not limited to:
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, storing or otherwise making available any content deemed to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, bullying, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- harvesting or collecting e-mail addresses or other contact information of other users from the Zulama LMS by electronic or other means for any purposes including without limitation to send unsolicited emails or other unsolicited communications;
- using the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS in any unlawful manner or in any other manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the Zulama LMS, including but not limited to generation of message activity with the Zulama LMS or any Zulama LMS Service of such speed or volume that may lead to malfunctions or degradation of performance of the Zulama LMS and/or Zulama LMS Services;
- using automated methods to collect information from or otherwise interact with users through the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS;
- using the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS to collect, store, publish, post, sell, transmit or disclose personal data about other users of the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS;
- registering for a User Identity on behalf of an individual other than yourself, or registering for a User Identity on behalf of any group or entity, unless duly and expressly authorized by such other individual, group or entity;
- impersonating any person or entity, or falsely stating or otherwise misrepresenting yourself, your age or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing or otherwise making available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, offers, surveys, contests, chain letters, solicitations, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” or any other form of solicitation;
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, storing or otherwise making publicly available on the Zulama LMS any private information of any third party, including, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers;
- soliciting personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes or soliciting passwords;
- using the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS to offer, sell, broker, purchase or seek any unethical, profane, obscene, indecent, unlawful, terroristic, violent or hateful services;
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing or otherwise making available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- using the Zulama LMS Services or the Zulama LMS to bully, intimidate, harass, threaten, defame, abuse, assault, stalk, or otherwise violate the rights of another person or entity, including without limitation rights of privacy or publicity;
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, storing or otherwise making available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;
- using or attempting to use another’s User Identity, account, service or system without authorization from Zulama, creating a false User Identity on the Zulama LMS or otherwise manipulating Zulama LMS identifiers in order to deceive others or disguise the origin of any content transmitted to or via the Zulama LMS or Zulama LMS Services;
- uploading, posting, transmitting, sharing, storing or otherwise making available content that, in the sole judgment of Zulama, is false, misleading, objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Zulama LMS, or which may expose Zulama or any Authorized Users to any harm or liability of any type; and
- accessing, tampering with or using areas of the Zulama LMS, Zulama LMS Services or Zulama’s computer systems that exceed the scope of Subscriber’s or any individual Authorized User’s authorization.
- Authorized User-Posted Zulama LMS Content.
(g) Submissions. You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback or other information about the Zulama LMS or the Zulama LMS Services (“Submissions”), provided by you to Zulama are non-confidential and shall become the sole property of Zulama. Zulama shall own exclusive rights, including all intellectual property rights, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of these Submissions for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you or any third party.
(h) No Obligation of Confidentiality. Subject to all applicable disclaimers set forth herein, Zulama’s sole responsibility with respect to limiting or restricting the disclosure or use of User Content is to use commercially reasonable efforts to restrict the accessibility of User Content as released and/or instructed by the Subscriber and its Authorized Users, each using the preference-setting functionality as made available through the Zulama LMS Services. Zulama does not have any obligation or liability with respect to use and/or disclosure of User Content by Authorized Users who have been authorized by Subscribers and/or Authorized Users (as applicable) to access User Content through the Zulama LMS Services. To the extent a Subscriber or Authorized User wishes to limit or restrict the use or disclosure of User Content accessed or obtained through the Zulama LMS Services, Subscribers and Authorized Users are responsible for negotiating and executing mutually acceptable agreements of confidentiality/non-disclosure between themselves. Zulama reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or User Content that it seems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or other government request. Each Subscriber and Authorized User posting User Content hereby indemnifies, defends and holds harmless Zulama and its officers, directors, agents, employees, and affiliates, at Subscriber/Authorized User’s expense, from and against any and all claims, demands, actions, costs, expenses, liabilities, judgments, causes of action, proceedings, suits, losses and damages of any nature, which are threatened or brought against, or are suffered or incurred by, Zulama or any such person arising out of, or related to, the use or disclosure of User Content obtained through the Zulama LMS Services.
- Third Party Web Portals and Content. The Zulama LMS contains (or you may be sent through the Zulama LMS or the Zulama LMS Services) links to other web portals (“Third Party Portals”) as well as articles, photographs, text, graphics, pictures, designs, music, sound, video, information, applications, software and other content or items belonging to or originating from third parties (the “Third Party Content”). Such Third Party Portals and Third Party Content are not investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy, appropriateness, or completeness by us, and we are not responsible for any Third Party Portals accessed through the Zulama LMS or any Third Party Content posted on, available through or installed from the Zulama LMS, including the content, accuracy, offensiveness, opinions, reliability, privacy practices or other policies of or contained in the Third Party Portals or the Third Party Content. Inclusion of, linking to or permitting the use or installation of any Third Party Portals or any Third Party Content does not imply approval or endorsement thereof by us. If you decide to leave the Zulama LMS and access the Third Party Portals or to access, download, use or install any Third Party Content, you do so at your own risk and you should be aware that our terms and policies no longer govern. You should review the applicable terms and policies, including privacy and data gathering practices, of any portals to which you navigate from the Zulama LMS or relating to any applications you use or install from the Zulama LMS.
- User Disputes. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Authorized Users. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other Authorized Users.
- Suspension; Revocation. With respect to any Authorized User, Zulama reserves the right, without notice, (i) to revoke any User Identity; (ii) to require Authorized User(s) to change User Identities; or (iii) to deny, limit or terminate access to the Zulama LMS or any portion thereof, whether for Zulama LMS security purposes, for violation of the terms and conditions of use referenced herein, or for any other reasons.
- Modifications. Zulama retains the right, in its sole discretion, to enhance, modify or alter the operation of the Zulama LMS and/or the Zulama LMS Services available through the Zulama LMS at any time (including without limitation the removal or substitution of specific Zulama LMS Services) and further retains the right to make such enhancements, modifications or alterations generally available to other users of the Zulama LMS.
(a) ALL INFORMATION AND SERVICES PROVIDED THROUGH THE ZULAMA LMS AND BY ZULAMA, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE COURSES, GENERALLY ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ZULAMA DISCLAIMS AND AUTHORIZED USER HEREBY WAIVES ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, ANY WARRANTY OF ERROR-FREE OR UNINTERRUPTED OPERATION, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR INTENDED USE, ANY WARRANTY OF COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THE ZULAMA LMS SERVICES AND AUTHORIZED USER OWNED EQUIPMENT OR SOFTWARE, OR ANY LIABILITY IN NEGLIGENCE, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO THE ZULAMA LMS SERVICES, EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE, OR DATA. AUTHORIZED USER AGREES THAT ZULAMA SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF REVENUES, EVEN IF ZULAMA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
(b) AUTHORIZED USER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT ZULAMA DOES NOT WARRANT THE AVAILABILITY, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, CURRENTNESS AND CONTENT OF ANY SERVICE, DATA OR INFORMATION DOWNLOADED, OR OTHERWISE VIEWED, OBTAINED OR ACQUIRED THROUGH THE USE OF THE ZULAMA LMS OR ZULAMA LMS SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE COURSES. AUTHORIZED USER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT ANY DATA OR INFORMATION DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE VIEWED, OBTAINED OR ACQUIRED THROUGH THE USE OF THE ZULAMA LMS OR ZULAMA LMS SERVICES ARE AT AUTHORIZED USER’S SOLE RISK AND DISCRETION AND ZULAMA WILL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO AUTHORIZED USERS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE PROPERTY. ZULAMA SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO SUBSCRIBER, AUTHORIZED USERS OR ANY OTHER THIRD PARTIES NOR DEEMED TO BE IN DEFAULT OF THIS AGREEMENT, ON ACCOUNT OF ANY DELAYS, ERRORS, MALFUNCTIONS, COMPATIBILITY PROBLEMS OR BREAKDOWNS WITH RESPECT TO THE ZULAMA LMS, ZULAMA LMS SERVICES, ZULAMA EQUIPMENT, DATA OR SERVICES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, UNLESS SUCH DELAY, ERROR, MALFUNCTION OR BREAKDOWN RESULTS SOLELY FROM THE GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL MISCONDUCT OF ZULAMA.
(c) Zulama is not responsible or liable in any manner for any User Content or Third Party Content posted on the Zulama LMS or in connection with the Zulama LMS Services, whether posted or caused by Authorized Users of the Zulama LMS, by Zulama, by third parties or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Zulama LMS or the Zulama LMS Services. Although Zulama provides rules for Authorized User conduct and postings, Zulama does not control and is not responsible for what Authorized Users post, transmit or share on the Zulama LMS and is not responsible for any false, deceptive, misleading, fraudulent, offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable content you may encounter on the Zulama LMS or in connection with any User Content or Third Party Content. Zulama is not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any Authorized User of the Zulama LMS or Zulama LMS Services.
- Indemnification. Subject to any disclaimers or limitations of liability set forth or incorporated by reference herein, Subscriber shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless Zulama, its past and present directors, affiliates, partners, officers, employees and agents from and against all liabilities, damages and expenses, claims for damages, suits, proceedings, recoveries, judgments or executions (including but not limited to litigation costs, expenses, and reasonable attorneys’ fees) which may be suffered by, accrued against, charged to or recoverable from Zulama, its past and present directors, affiliates, partners, officers, employees or agents (“Claims”) by reason of or in connection with Subscriber’s or its Authorized Users’ (a) use or misuse of the Zulama LMS; (b) performance or failure to perform, or improper performance of any of Subscriber’s or its Authorized Users’ obligations under this Agreement; or (c) acts or omissions in reliance upon the output of the Zulama LMS, including without limitation data visualizations, reports, spreadsheets or other materials displayed or downloaded via the Zulama LMS, whether such output or materials are used singly or in combination with other information.
- Title. Unless expressly provided hereunder, Zulama and/or its licensors do not grant any express or implied right(s) to Subscriber and/or any of its Authorized Users under any patent(s), copyright(s), trademark(s), or trade secret information through the Zulama LMS. Accordingly, unauthorized use of any material contained on the Zulama LMS may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, trade secret laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and other regulations and statutes. The contents of and all materials distributed in conjunction with the Zulama LMS are Copyright © 2010 Zulama, INC, and/or its licensors, all rights reserved. Zulama also owns copyrights in Zulama LMS as a whole as well as in each component as collective works and/or compilations, and in the selection, coordination, arrangement, and enhancement of the Zulama LMS’ content. Zulama and all other names, logos, and icons identifying Zulama’s products and services are proprietary marks of Zulama, INC, and any use of such marks without the express written permission of Zulama is strictly prohibited. Other product and company names mentioned on the Zulama LMS may be the marks of their respective owners.
- Excusable Delay. Zulama will use commercially reasonable efforts to keep the Zulama LMS Services available for Subscriber’s use and the use of its Authorized Users; however, Zulama cannot and will not be responsible for any loss or unavailability of the Zulama LMS Services that results from a cause over which it does not have direct control, including, but not limited to, failure of electronic or mechanical equipment or communication lines, telephone or other interconnect problems, computer viruses, unauthorized access, theft, operator errors, severe weather, earthquakes, or natural disasters, strikes or other labor problems, wars, or governmental restrictions. No party will be deemed in default of this Agreement as a result of a delay in performance or failure to perform its obligations caused by acts of God or governmental authority, strikes or labor disputes, fire, acts of war, failure of third party suppliers, or for any other cause beyond the control of that party.
- General Provisions.
(a) Nothing in this Agreement is intended or shall be construed to create or establish an agency, partnership, or joint venture relationship between the parties.
(b) No waiver by either party of any provision or any breach of this Agreement constitutes a waiver of any other provision or breach of this Agreement and no waiver shall be effective unless made in writing. The right of either party to require strict performance and observance of any obligations hereunder shall not be affected in any way by any previous waiver, forbearance or course of dealing.
(c) Subscriber or its Authorized Users shall not sell, assign, license, sub-license, or otherwise convey in whole or in part to any third party this Agreement or the services provided hereunder without the prior written consent of Zulama.
(d) This is a non-exclusive agreement. Similar agreements may be entered into by either party with any other person.
(e) This Agreement shall be considered a contract governed by Pennsylvania law and any disputes regarding this Agreement shall be heard by the state courts in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, and federal courts located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, and each party consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts.
(f) If any part of this Agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable pursuant to applicable law including, but not limited to, the warranty disclaimers and liability limitations set forth above, then the invalid or unenforceable provision will be deemed superseded by a valid, enforceable provision that most closely matches the intent of the original provision and the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in effect.
(g) This Agreement, together with the agreements and documents referenced herein, as such may be amended from time to time, constitute the final and complete understanding and agreement between the parties concerning the subject matter hereof. Any prior agreements, understandings, negotiations or communications written or otherwise are deemed superseded by this Agreement. This Agreement may be modified only by a further written agreement executed by an authorized representative of the parties hereto.
YOU ARE ADVISED TO PRINT OUT A COPY OF THIS LEGAL AGREEMENT FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS