This course is a great way to hook kids who are curious about programming. It covers concepts such as loops, variables, conditionals, and arrays. We introduce coding using an easy, step-by-step method. Kids are immediately engaged in fun game projects that build their confidence. Students create original, portfolio-worthy games that can be played by family and friends!
Outcomes & Objectives
- Design, code, debug, and implement an original 2D digital game using GML scripting language
- Navigate GameMaker: Studio software
- Explore computer science principles
- Use algorithms and abstraction to build an executable 2D game
- Learn object-oriented programming
- Use the agile software development technique known as pair programming to create fully playable games
This is a full-year (two semesters or three trimesters) high school course.
Inside Introduction to Computer Science through Game Design
The free version of Windows GameMaker: Studio v1.4 can be downloaded here. Directions for installing the free version of GameMaker can be downloaded here: GameMaker: Studio Install Directions. If the free version is incompatible with your school’s technology set-up, educational GameMaker licenses can be purchased from YoYoGames.
Purchase Introduction to Computer Science through Game Design here.