In this studio course, students utilize the game design, storytelling, art, and coding skills gained from their Zulama Foundation and Skills courses to create a project for a “real-world” client! Student design teams work with businesses, non-profits, people within your school, or other community organizations to create apps, games, websites, and more. Students manage the entire project, from initial design to the final client presentation.
Outcomes & Objectives
Work as a team to design and build a product that meets a real-world client’s needs
Students will be able to…
- Share subject matter knowledge with other members of the design team in ways that promote a creative and positive work environment
- Contribute art, programming, storytelling, and/or game design skills to building a fully playable board or digital game, or other game‐related project
- Communicate with clients in a problem/solution environment
- Present a finished team product in a professional manner
Client and Project Examples
Some ideas for client projects:
- Students can work on projects for their school, such as creating games for younger students in order to help them learn new concepts they may struggle with.
- Students can identify a community group whose mission aligns with a particular social concern, and offer to build an appropriate tool to help the group. For instance, a group of students who are concerned with childhood obesity could work with a local food bank, YMCA, etc.
- Students can open a “tech support lab” for the community. The lab would not necessarily aim to fix hardware and software, but to help people learn about social media tools, software, apps, and even help them discover new types of games.
- Schools could hold a showcase day and invite local businesses to see the projects that students have worked on in their Zulama courses. Businesses could “pitch” some ideas for apps and have students brainstorm ideas and form teams to work with the businesses.
- Students can come up with something completely original! At Zulama, we encourage high school students to flex their creative muscle.
Each community is different and offers unique and exciting opportunities to students. Zulama may not be able to make business connections for you, but we can guide you through the process and get you set up with a “blueprint for success.”
Inside Real-World Projects
Recommended Course Sequence