Evolution of Games
Today’s professional game designers re-use dynamics from many different types of games in their blockbuster hits. This course gives you the chance to explore ancient cultures, their games, and find out how they designed games using available technology and resources. You will prototype and play board and digital games as well as get hands-on experience creating your own original game.
Outcomes & Objectives
- Articulate how similar game design mechanics are found in both ancient and modern games
- Identify how games reflect a culture’s political and social structure
- Gain tactile knowledge of games and their rules by building game prototypes
- Collaborate within a project-based learning environment to produce quality research and creative design products
Here are some examples of past student work completed in this course:
Evolution of Games in Action
Hear more about Evolution of Games from students, teachers, and Zulama trainers:
Inside Evolution of Games
Recommended Course Sequence
Students who complete this course will be more well prepared for careers such as:
- Corporate Trainer
- Game Publisher, Designer, Developer
- Geospacial Information Scientist and Technologist
- Graphic Designer
- Media-Related Career
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planner
- Project Manager
- Urban Planner
- Video Game Tester
- Web Developer
- Writer, Author, Editor
Evolution of Games for Middle School
Three primary ways the Middle School version of Evolution of Games is different from the High School version:
- The reading level of the Middle School version is between the 5th- and lower 8th-grade level. The High School version scales through the 10th grade level.
- The High School Poker and Gambling module is removed from the Middle School version.
- There are fewer discussions and activities in each module of the Middle School version, which gives younger students more time to complete their coursework.
The course syllabi and scope and sequence are available for you to download in the sidebar on the left-hand side of this screen.